Friday, September 12, 2008

Questions?

Hey, Gang!

Upon at the verge of killing my assignment in front of me, I have decided to take a break and blog a little. Been hearing random questions asked by a bunch of middle-school girls. It is interesting to see the competitions formed between girls. So anyway, I was wondering about the many questions people (been eavesdropping) asked. Somewhat, there are basic questions which are mysteriously unanswerable.

BUT! Before all of that:

Disclaimer: This post is generally stating what MOST of the people in this current era will answer. NOTE: MOST! And 'MOST' does not have the same meaning and is not equivalent to 'ALL' or 'ALMOST ALL'. Christie Wong is not liable for any misinterpretations made by readers. Note: Under the 'useful and popular replies', they are smart answers [some]. So do not go thinking that it is offending you. Under 'reasons being', the main point of this is to clarify why is the question mysteriously unanswerable. And Christie is hereby admitting that these are all by her only! This is her blog and she will state what she wants to state no matter how brainless, unknowledgeable and stupid they can be. Cheers. *^^*

Special Occasions:
Question 1: What do you want for your birthday?
Description: Usually asked when birthdays of the 'asked' are around the corner.
Reasons being: 1) You will be seen as greedy and shameless to the enquirer (well, depending on their personality and mentality, too). 2) You might not get it. So why answer? 3) You might get it. But where is the surprise? 4) You might get it. And it may be only something close to what you want. 5) You will plainly feel uncomfortable answering that question just because everyone else will ask you that EVERY BIRTHDAY season. 6) You do not see the point of telling.
Useful and popular replies: 1) Anything, la~ 2) No need, la~ 3) Ha? I dunno oso o~ 4) Surprise me.

Question 2: So what did you get for christmas?
Description: Usually asked by 'kepoh' aunties to any younger-than-thems.
Reason being: Curious and plainly wanted to befriend the 'asked'.
Useful and popular replies: Erm~ Gifts?

Question 3: How much angpau did you collect? (Also asked: How much angpau MONEY did you collect?)
Description: Either to start a conversation when long-time-no-see time or want to compare (with utmost do-not-know-what-reason) or plainly want to ask and know and be done with.
Reason being: Usually interpreted as "why you want to know? You want me to spend lunch (options: dinner or breakfast) is it?" (note: the misinterpretations are usually never voiced out.) or just because one feels it is unimportant to inform others about the amount.
Useful and popular replies: Just enough to survive the month lo~ / Ok la~ / Definitely not as much as yours la (usable with or without knowledge of how much the other party collected) / Why you want to know ar? (used in a slightly soft tone to avoid offending the other party). Cheeky answers: Oh! How much angpau I collected? I think around 10 (optional) packets only. (Note: usually ends with an almost innocent and cheeky smile).

General Situations:
Question 4: So where / what do you want to go / eat for breakfast / lunch / dinner?
Description: Asked when in hungry situation (a.k.a.: hunger strikes.)
Reasons being: Too many choices / Not hungry / I want to eat this but I do not think you will want to have it / You choose, I describe / Out of manners / You pick. I am OK with anything. You are fussier and pickier (note: usually not voiced out.)
Useful and popular replies: Anything, la (alternative: Anything oso can la~) / You choose la. I am OK with anything. / I can't decide la. You choose la. (which will sometimes be continued with "ha? Why you wanna eat there / that?").

Academics:
Question 5: Have you finished your assignment / homework / thesis?
Description: Asked either as a greeting and an opening conversation or when plainly and genuinely wanted to know if the 'asking' is nearing the deadline.
Reason being: The 'asked' will think that the 'asking' will want to have a look at it and assuming that the 'asking' has a scanning-machined eyes and print out what the 'asking' had read into another piece of paper and make it his / her own.
Useful and popular replies: Ha? Er~ Why ar? / Oh! I finished already (and when asked "can I take a look at question 3?") Oh! I have not done that question yet. / Oh! I handed in already (note: question is "have you finished your assignment / homework / thesis" which carries basic answers such as "Yes" or "No") / Eh! Ouh My GAWD! I lost my pen! (or anything which comes in mind to divert the question).

Question 6: Can you teach me how to answer this particular question?
Description: Asked when one does not know how to answer a question.
Reason being: This question is usually interpreted as "can you give me your answer?".
Useful and popular replies: Oh! I dunno how to do oso o. What was it again ar? (tip: it is a useful diversion to ask the 'asking' back.) / Overlapping with the answer to Question 3: Ha? Er~ Why ar? / Another overlap: Oh! I have not done that question yet. / Er. Sorry ya. I dunno oso. Ask XX la~ (which is odd because the 'asked' mentioned he/she does not know how to answer the question and yet knew who to ask.)

Question 7: So what marks did you get?
Description: Asked during post-test or post-finals or post-assignments to either compare marks or asked out of manners to start and continue a conversation.
Reason being: Question is usually interpreted as "I want to know because if yours is lower, I'll be happy" or plainly because "I don't wanna know your marks and I won't bother telling you mine".
Useful and popular replies: Ok la~ *smiles and zipped* / It's Ok~ (what is the difference? The first one is informal reply while the second is a formal reply.) / Oh! I passed. / Not as good as yours la of coz~ (usually ends with a forceful short laugh) / OkOk only la~ (What is the difference? This reply has a double Ok stating that the result is averagely good or averagely moderate. Note: There is no averagely bad.)

Well? Is there anymore? I could not think of any. Well, SHARING IS CARING! Share some here and er.. Yea~ Share some here. *^^* REMINDER: I am not liable for any imaginary-offense and hereby, openly state that I use some replies in these post for some questions as well. There you go~